Friday, February 4, 2011

Freestyle Fridays with a Valentine Touch and Regina's Mission

Something I really really love besides my Husband, Frankii and post-it notes, and some days not necessarily in that order, are sheet protectors.  I buy them at Costco. They come in a package of 2 boxes with 100 sheets in each for under $10.00.  Nothing like buying in bulk.  In the package they include project folders in 5 colors which have been saved up in the "I can use this on a card one day" bin. 

I was cruisin' blogs the other day and came across this candle.  Just had to give it try. No red candle and the vellum on hand just didn't seem to fit the bill, I went with a white candle, the red project folder and gold cord. I used the Full Heart Punch and Scallop Heart Sizzlet, see it still works just fine from having broken a hinge making Dolly's Valentine card.  I actually ran it through the Big Shot 25 times without a problem.
Threaded the hearts by making a hole with a hand punch in the upper right hand corner. Then I just wrapped the cord around the candle making sure the hearts where not sticking up anywhere.  Strategically moved the hearts under the cord so that they would lay flat. There was a bit of fiddlin' but not much.
GThis will just be used as a decoration. I'd be a bit skeptical to burn the candle. Even though this particular candle does not melt evenly when lit, the wax on the outside still gets hot and the hearts would just warp and melt and most likely catch fire. If you plan on making one of these as a gift using the same type of material please let the recipient know not to light the candle.

Once the candle was done I just had to make a card to go with it.  The "red" of the folder is not your typical red. It's more of a Regal Rose. I have about a foot high of 6x6 sheets of designer paper just begging to be used. Leafing through the stack I came across the designer paper used in the background. I may have acquired it through a paper share a lot of demos have when new paper comes out. Don't rightly recall or the name of the paper.
Isn't it beautiful? This is the designer paper Stampin' Up use to carry before going double sided.  Before cutting it to measure, I ran a piece of Whisper White Cardstock with the Framed Tulip Embossing Folder through the Big Shot.  Then applied Regal Rose Ink with a Sponge Dauber ever so lightly as to only catch the raised image and trimmed the edge. Adhered the Designer Paper, cut to fit inside the frame. Something else Stampin' Up use to carry was Sticky Cuts Letters and the sheet came with a few hearts. You can now purchase sheets of these without any pre-cut images. I stuck the hearts right on the paper then applied Coral Reef Glitter in the Kunzite color by MS. In hindsight I should have used my Embossing Buddy on the paper prior to doing this as some of the glitter was clinging to the outside of the hearts. I used a brush to remove it and it took awhile. I stamped the Feb 14 from A Happy Heart in Regal Rose on Whisper White and punched it out with a small scallop circle punch. All of this was adhered to Basic Black Cardstock. I found it made the whole front of the card POP.

On the inside a layer of Whisper White was added and a couple of small hearts punch out using the designer paper. 
Hope you all like it. Would love to know what you think.


****REGINA'S MISSION****

Guess what Regina, you get to play with FIRE!  Just kidding JJ Your mission this week is to decorate a candle and make a coordinating card. Your choice on what theme and colors. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

See Ya Next Week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK Julie, that looks like a lot of work. BURN it enjoy the candle. You can make more. Cute card.

Betty

Regina Andari - workinouttheinks.blogspot.com said...

Julie, your candle and card are fabulous! I'm excited about getting to play with fire, which I do every time I try to singe the ends of seam binding. Yep! A flame always ensues! I already have an idea for my candle project and hope that it will turn into something nice. Thanks for the missions . . . I enjoy them and look forward to them!

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done Julie. I'm really admiring your artwork, so TFS. Love Audrey

Julie Marshall said...

Hey Julie,

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Love all the pics of the dogs...so cute!

This candle is a great project. I've seen them at my friend's house...I may have to try them out ;)

TFS.