Friday, September 6, 2013

Freestyle Fridays

Here we are in September already.  It's hard to believe that summer is coming to a fast close. Fortunately, you can not tell by the weather we have had around here this week.  The sky is blue and the temperature is warm.  Are we in for a mild winter???  Please!!!
 
Mix media seems to be coming around quite a bit lately and I thought I would try my hand at it.  I was looking through an old craft magazine and saw this really easy technique and since I had all the supplies on hand I gave it try.
 
 
I have yet to replace my stolen camera so you'll have to excuse the poor quality of the picture.  I started with a piece of Very Vanilla and the Shop Around Jumbo Wheel rolled in Chocolate Chip Craft Ink.  I sprinkled clear embossing powder on it quickly and heated it with the heat gun.  Let that cool a bit and applied Crafter's Acrylic Paint in Spun Gold.  Once that was dry I dampened a paper towel with Windshield Washer fluid (I think Windex would the trick too) and wiped the acrylic paint away.  You can't tell from the photo but the effect is a very shimmery gold.  I trimmed to fit on a piece of Elegant Eggplant.  The base is also that color.  I layered Soft Suede DSP from the Neutrals Collection Paper Stack.  In black ink the sentiment from Perfectly Penned was applied to Twill Tape.  Once it was put all together it needed a little something so I looked in my embellishment stack and lo and behold I found decorative flowers that matched perfectly with Elegant Eggplant.  Although I think I used a rather large width twill tape I'm pleased with the effect.  Hope you are too!
 
********REGINA'S MISSION********
 
Regina here we are at another week for a challenging mission for you. What to do, What to do??  I know, Mixed Media.  You know what that means....you can use all sorts of fabulous things together.  Here's a few ideas to get you started: stencil, paste, ink, paint, aluminum foil, wax paper.  I think you get the idea and I would be willing to place a small wager that as you read this you already have something in the works.  You are that good!!!!
 
See Ya Next Week! 

2 comments:

Regina Andari - workinouttheinks.blogspot.com said...

Stunning!!! Julie, your project is gorgeous, and I knew that I'd love it when I saw the whole thing!! I look forward to digging in the mixed media vault to find things to use for my project next week.

Jacoline Fitzgerald said...

I love this card. The work you put into it is really obvious and the stamp that you used is one I haven't purchased as yet but now that I see this amazing card I think it will be next on my list of must have's. I have been thinking of teaching a mixed media card to the class but have been hesitant because never have tried it but I think it will be something I might attack next month for them. Thanks