Saturday, March 19, 2011

Freestyle Fridays - Experimenting with Pearl Ex

I frequently read about paper crafters hoarding their supplies.  It occurred to me that I hoard techniques.  So over the next few months I will experiment with quite a few. Whether they are successful will be another matter.

The technique for this card is called Heated Pearls.  It is one that I came across recently in my stash that sparked a particular interest.  It is on a typed page without a sample. Did I get this from a class I attended or somewhere on The Net?  It's a mystery.


To achieve this a piece of White Glossy Cardstock was brayered with Concord Crush.  Aileen Tacky Glue was blobbed in the middle and spread throughout the cardstock with a cheap stipple brush. With the same brush I applied some Spring Green and Sunset Gold Pearl Ex.  Then the Heat Gun was used all over the Cardstock.  It was interesting to watch the glue bubble and pop.  Once dry  it gave me the sense of an Aurora Borealis which brought to mind the Elegant Lines Embossing Folder. When I first saw this folder my first thought was Native Folklore. We all see something different in designs. I ran the cardstock through the Big Shot with that folder and added some rhinestones.  The sentiment is popped up with dimensionals stamped in Concord Crush from the Just Believe set on Pear Pizzazz punched with the Curly Label Extra Large Punch. The base of the card is Pear Pizzazz.  I think if I had worked a little faster the glue would have popped and bubbled a little more.  All in all not a bad effort for a first try.

*****REGINA'S MISSION*****

Regina, your mission this week is to experiment with Pearl Ex.  Hopefully the "Andari Surplus Store" will already have some on hand. You can apply the same technique as above or put some Pearl Ex in a mister, add water, give it a shake to mix and apply as would Smooch Spritz. As always, you have creative license. The only criteria is that you have fun.

Let us know if you would like to join in on the missions.  We'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

See Ya Next Week!

4 comments:

Jacoline Fitzgerald said...

Wow Julie I just love what you have done with this card, it is just gorgeous. I think I will try the same idea for a Birthday card that I need today. Thanks for always being such a creative influence......Jacoline

Anonymous said...

Oh Yeah Julie very attractive card. Neverending color combos

Betty

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten about that technique. It is really fun to play with. You never know what will turn up! I think I will have to try that again. Just had my Pearl Ex out playing the other day for the first time in a couple of years!
www.stampersjoy.typepad.com

Regina Andari - workinouttheinks.blogspot.com said...

I love it, Julie!!! It seems that I had just begun to fall in love with PE around the time SU retired it. Your colors turned out beautifully!!! Have no fear . . . the Andari Surplus Store has all of the colors of PE that SU carried, and I will accept the mission!